Grant Guidelines: Housatonic School Scholarship Fund
The Housatonic School Scholarship was established by a group of local citizens after the Housatonic village school closed in 2003. The scholarship program is open to graduates of the Housatonic School and, in time, their descendants and residents of Housatonic in their pursuit of a post secondary education.
The mission of the scholarship program is to help keep alive the spirit of community that the Housatonic School (1906 Ė 2003) embodied. Started with seed money left from the Housatonic School PTO, the scholarship program continues the work of the school: helping the children of Housatonic to get the education they need while fostering in them the spirit of community to which the Housatonic School was so central. In 2005, the Fund received a $150,000 bequest from Jack and Betsy Cook who were longtime Housatonic residents. This bequest was used to create the Housatonic School Scholarship endowment at Berkshire Taconic. Contributions of any size to the Housatonic School Scholarship Fund are welcome.
Applications are invited from students who meet the following criteria:
1. Applicant must be a graduating senior who attended Housatonic School in good academic standing as evidenced by SAT scores, class rank and overall grades (minimum 2.75 or a ranking in the top 40% of the class)
2. After 2014, graduating seniors who are descendants of Housatonic School graduates or students whose families have lived in Housatonic for at least three of the studentís four high school years.
3. Applicant must also show significant evidence of a contribution to the community during high school such as:
4. Applicant must demonstrate efforts and ambitions to achieve his or her life and academic goals.
5. Applicant must be enrolled or in the process of enrolling at a two-year or four-year college or university.
This may include vocational schools, trade schools or apprenticeships.
The number and amount of awards will depend on the amount available for spending from the Fund. Awards will be paid for the studentís second semester upon the confirmation of enrollment and appropriate academic standing.
Applicants will be informed of Berkshire Taconicís decision within two months of the deadline date.
The committee will review requests for scholarships according to the following criteria:
Applications will be reviewed by the Housatonic School Scholarship Fund Committee. This is a committee of Housatonic residents who are active in community affairs. Their recommendations will be reviewed by Berkshire Taconicís Board of Directors.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.