The mission of Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation is to build stronger communities by inspiring charitable giving. We offer donors, nonprofits and community groups the tools and expertise to achieve their philanthropic vision and goals, and identify critical areas where the foundation can leverage its relationships and leadership for lasting impact. Founded in 1987 in Salisbury, Connecticut, Berkshire Taconic serves Berkshire County, Mass.; Columbia and northeast Dutchess County, NY; and northwest Litchfield County, Conn. In all, we serve the residents of 70 towns and three cities across three states, within a 2,200-square mile region.
Like most community foundations, Berkshire Taconic offers a variety of fund types that allow donors and community groups to build charitable resources and make grants and other awards over time to achieve their philanthropic goals. BTCF has also proactively established funds to address a specific issue in our region or to develop permanent charitable resources to serve a set of communities. This has resulted in the creation and growth of 11 area funds, 33 educational enrichment funds that serve every public school district in our region, and special initiatives to address regional challenges, such as the shortage of high-quality early childhood programs and affordable housing options.
In total, the foundation manages more than 550 funds with a combined $130 million in assets that together make over $8 million in grants and other awards each year. BTCF is a learning organization that embraces a culture of high performance, transparency and flexibility. All staff participate in professional development activities on an ongoing basis and work cooperatively as a team, respectful of one another, the volunteer board that guides our work, and the nonprofits and donors who are our vital partners in improving lives around the region.
The Finance Assistant is responsible for supporting the smooth operations of the foundation, documenting its financial transactions, maintaining and analyzing records, providing administrative support to the Vice President and Operations team, and undertaking other special projects that may arise. This position works closely with both the Controller and Database Manager to maintain up-to-date records at all times and provide timely information to staff, the Board and Foundation constituents. Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, he or she is an important link to other departments for supporting integrated activities.
The successful Finance Assistant will achieve the following outcomes over time, working with other staff:
- Accurate, efficient and timely recording of all expenses, and supporting documents
- Effective tracking of organization-wide activities and key metrics
- Improved accuracy of database records
- Seamless support to ongoing activities and scheduling
- Contribute to and be a key partner in providing timely information and analysis of operations
- Enters all invoices and prepares weekly disbursements, coordinates recording and payment of all corporate credit card transactions, maintains vendor records and prepares Forms 1099
- Prepares daily bank deposits and assists with donor identification of contributions
- Maintains petty cash account(s)
- Assists with account reconciliations and prepares journal entries
- Reviews due diligence on grants to individuals, processes grants between foundation funds
- Processes quarterly fund statements
- Maintains data tables of key indicators and dashboard statistics
- Assists with documentation of and for the annual audit
- Runs routine reports for testing accuracy and consistency of database information; works with appropriate staff to make adjustments accordingly
- Assists with data entry, coding changes and data pulls/extractions
- Provides back-up for the Gifts and Grants Coordinators
Support of the Vice President
- Coordinates annual record retention policy disposals and archiving with the Office Manager
- Assists with network file maintenance and monitors policy compliance
- Provides back-up and fills in for the Office Manager during vacations and other absences
- Assembles materials, presentations and data for key appointments, meetings and special projects
- Schedules committee meetings as assigned, helps maintain organization calendars
- Assists with distribution of information to the Board of Directors and maintenance of the Board portal
- Related duties as assigned
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or financial management
- One or two years’ previous experience in a related or comparable position; nonprofit experience preferred
- Experience in working with databases and financial information, including reporting and data analysis, as well as demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
The successful candidate will possess and have demonstrated in previous roles or projects the following attributes and skills:
- Highly organized to manage multiple priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Accurate and detail-oriented: analytical approach to problem solving and communication
- Highly proficient with technology
- A self-starter; ability to work unsupervised
- Appreciative of high professional standards
- Ability to work with confidential information with discretion and good judgment
- A team player: helpful, polite, collaborative, supportive and respectful
- Comfortable working with a wide variety of people
- Committed to ongoing professional development
Entry-level salary commensurate with background and experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance (contribution required), retirement, vacation, sick leave, short- and long-term disability and life insurance.
How to apply
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format, along with a cover letter describing your interest in the role and your qualifications. We will not consider any application without a cover letter. Send your resume and letter as one document to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Applications are due February 25, 2017.
Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.