Accessory Apartment Program
Accessory apartments are an innovative way to help create affordable housing options. They can ease the very tight rental market for working families and provide extra income for homeowners—which in today’s economic climate can be of significant financial value.
An accessory apartment (also called an in-law apartment) is a self-contained housing unit that may either be a segment of the main residence or in a separate structure such as a garage on the property of a single-family home.
Low Interest Loans
The Accessory Apartment Revolving Loan Fund can provide low interest loans to income eligible homeowners who would like to build an accessory apartment. Learn More [PDF, 264KB]
Accessory Apartment Guides
HousingUs has developed a step-by-step guide for creating an accessory apartment, customized for 8 towns. Read the guide to learn how to secure permission for, design, build and find a tenant for an apartment in one’s home, barn or garage.
Zoning, building permit fees and application processes are different for each town. However, many of the steps described in this guide are similar to those in other towns. If you don’t see a guide for your town and have questions, please contact us.
Accessory Apartment Guides by Town
- Accessory Apartments Guide: Cornwall, CT [PDF, 431KB]
- Accessory Apartments Guide: Falls Village, CT [PDF, 4.9MB]
- Accessory Apartments Guide: Kent, CT [PDF, 402KB]
- Accessory Apartments Guide: Salisbury, CT [PDF, 409KB]
- Accessory Apartments Guide: Sharon, CT [PDF, 418KB]
- Accessory Apartments Guide: Sheffield, MA [PDF, 469KB]
- Accessory Apartments Guide: Hillsdale, NY [PDF, 3.8MB]
- Accessory Apartments Guide: Millerton, NY [PDF, 1MB]
- Appendix C: Budget Worksheet [PDF, 110KB]
- Appendix D: Sample Rental Application [PDF, 314KB]
- Appendix E: Sample lease form for Massachusetts [PDF, 71KB]
- Appendix E: Sample lease form for Connecticut [PDF, 71KB]