Opening a Fund
Opening and maintaining a fund at Berkshire Taconic is simple and flexible. We provide all administrative services related to the fund, including tax documentation, record keeping of all fund activity and investments and grant distributions to charities.
If you would like to discuss opportunities for your clients to meet their philanthropic and financial goals by opening a fund with us, contact Jennifer Dowley, president, at 413.229.0370 or email@example.com.
Steps to opening a fund
1. You and your client decide which fund options are the best fit. You will find a full description of your client's options at Ways of Giving or contact us to request our "Guide to Giving." Our experienced staff is always available to meet with you and your clients to discuss giving options.
2. The donor completes a simple new fund worksheet. If it is a donor advised fund, the donor names the current fund advisors and also may name successor advisors such as children.
3. The donor makes his or her initial gift using cash, stock or other assets.
Once the fund is established
2. Berkshire Taconic invests the assets based on the donor's choice of our four investment options.
3. Depending on how the fund is established, the donor sends Berkshire Taconic grant recommendations, which donors can make in their name, the fund's name or anonymously.
4. The donor receives quarterly statements of the fund's activity, including the fund balance and grants made.
5. Gifts may be added to the fund at anytime through outright gifts, by bequest, through a charitable trust, charitable gift annuity or other form of planned gift.